Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken Anyone?


So I finally made it to Surat, feel like I'm finally back to being a part of civilisation again. The village life was relaxing but at the end of the day, it's simply not for me. I now know my limit as to how many bug bites and salty well-water I can handle in one lifetime- seven days max.

The highlights of my week were:
- Befriending some of the village youngsters (they all reminded me of a little Jamal, Latika or Salim from Slumdog Millionaire).
- Looking up at the stars at night (I saw two shooting stars!)
- There are more... but I'm at a computer lab again and feel rushed with my thoughts.

The not so fun part though, was listening to the chicken (warning: discontinue reading this entry if you've got a weak stomache) I was going to have for supper shriek in desperation just before the butcher lady snapped off its head, drained out its' blood, dumped it in boiling water, tugged off the feet, plucked out the feathers, and sliced up the meat right before my eyes. I'm no longer able to take in non-veg food unless I want to gag). The guts were left behind for the crows to fight over - yuck, yuck, yuck. I'm sorry if this is too detailed, but that's all I can think about these days.

Every adult I met, no matter what village I was in, asked me the same question. Why am I not married, when will I get married and would I like for them to find me a husband. No thank-you kind and courteous Sir. It was pretty darn annoying at first, but it later became laughable.

The one thing I know for sure after this week is that I'll always be a city girl at heart. I need to have access to running water, I need my cellphone to be working, I need the world at my fingertips through the internet. I guess in some ways I am spoiled.

2 comments:

  1. That chicken story is a bit unsettling, but am proud of you for toughing it out. Well done! Any pictures of the kids you met?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I wanted to hurl while reading the paragragh where the butcher was preparing the chicken..and you witnessed all this...UGGHHHH!
    Miss you xx
    I.

    ReplyDelete