Monday, April 12, 2010

The Unemployed

I'm thankful to be getting any type of paid work at this point. A lot of my friends are worried about getting laid off from their companies or are disheartened by seeing their colleagues being let-goed.
A man who looked like he was in his mid-40s just dropped off his CV for HR at the office I work at. He's fluent in English, French and Spanish. He has past reception experience and yet he wasn't even trying to get a reception post, all he's aiming for is an unpaid stage in any given department. Stage work in his 40s? It's a sad picture. He's just asking for some work experience while he's unemployed.
He just emigrated here from the Dominican Republic. The job situation is tough as it is right now, I can't even imagine how much harder it must be for newly arrived immigrants. I can't wait for the economy to pick up. There are too many unemployed out there. But kudos to him for not giving up hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment