Friday, October 22, 2010

Damas Restaurant - A Syrian Delight!

Damas Restaurant
5210 Parc Ave.
Montreal, Quebec H2V 4G7
Tel.: (514) 439-5435


As of late I’ve been exploring many of the scrumptious Syrian delights being served up at Damas Restaurant located in Montreal’s Mile End. Damas is the capital city of Syria in French; in English, it’s popularly known as Damascus. The restaurant just opened a few weeks ago and is already busy catering to foodies like myself! My friends and I have gone back a few times since our first trial for that consistently satisfying fix.

Fuad Alnirabie is one of the restaurant owners who also happens to be co-owner of Kaza Maza (which made the Montreal Mirror's List of Top Ten 'Best New Restaurants').  Alnirabie says the difference between the two is “Damas is more authentic and refined. It serves meals that you cannot find in other Syrian restaurants in Montreal.”
                                                                         
Syrian cuisine is known for its lamb dishes, stuffed meats and vegetables, grilled foods and mezzes.  Unique spices and herbs like aleppo pepper, cardamom, anis and sumac are incorporated. Olive oil is also a signature ingredient which does make the food a bit heavy at times – so head in with a large appetite!

The menu’s varied enough to cater to vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.  I’ve been trying to order something different each time I go. But the fattouch salad with pomegranate and fried pita entrée, along with their hearty lentil soup, has already become a favourite of mine. The last dish I tried was the Fatta Makdous (layered dish of minced lamb meat, eggplant, yogourt and tomato sauce) and I haven't been wanting to try anything else since. It's got to be the crème de la crème! 

Alnirabie suggests clients not leave without trying at least one of the four fatta specialties, the grilled cherry or pistachio kebab, and his signature lamb poutine drizzled with a  unique wine-based gravy.

I leave you now with some more photos of the many dishes my friends and I have tried thus far.









7 comments:

  1. I have been to Damas too and the food is absolutely amazing. Meals are sophisticated and beautifully served. You can tell there is a lot of thought behind the dishes. I highly recommend the restaurant if you are looking for a gastronomic orgasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Did you take the photos? Everything looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... would have been useful if photos at least had names of dishes, if not descriptions of what is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, something to consider for next time! And I'll try to update this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    We would like to notify you that the new and official Damas Restaurant website is : http://www.restaurant-damas.com

    ReplyDelete