Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hot and Muggy Mumbai

It's early evening now and my day's been pretty uneventful, a lot like yesterday. I've been doing a lot of internet research, compiling a list of tv station and news publication addresses. Looks like I'm going to have to call up these managing directors, either all my emails are going to their junk box, or they can't be bothered to reply.

I napped a lot in between the day as the heat's exhausting me; it's 33C today, am thankful the sun is slowly setting now. This doesn't mean I miss the Canadian cold, I'd still prefer this over chattering teeth, lining up for a hot chocolate, desperate to get my hands warm, any day.

My room has a portable a/c which is useless in this heat, and yet it's still giving me a sore throat - go figure. So I've switched over to using the ceiling fan but it's completely drying out my eyes. Yep, there's no pleasing me right now.

As a highlight to my day, I tried to indulge in a Fruit & Nut Cadbury chocolate bar, which is sometimes my favourite, but it too has disappointed me. The fruits and nuts were unevenly spread out, feel like I got jipped off by the Tesco store where I bought it from in London. The fact that it was melting within seconds of my taking it out of the fridge didn't add to the taste either.

There are two girls staying here, they're much younger than I, both basically upkeep the flat while the host family is away in America. When they're not working or napping, they watch religious TV serials. I'm trying to befriend them with my rusty Hindi but they're remaining distant, sweet yes, but distant.

I'm dying to go out for a walk; but I still don't feel comfortable venturing out on my own. I've experienced too much butt-pinching to try something like that. So yes, I do miss my Canadian home, I miss being able to walk wherever I wanted at whatever time I wanted. Sure there was the occasional catcall, but generally speaking, guys would respect your space. I have a lot more respect for the men back home right now.

2 comments:

  1. How come I never knew about this blog until now? :(
    Anyways, you should be careful at nights the story about the two girls being raped got me worried.
    I miss you MF!!
    Btw you have to guess who this anonymous person is:p Good luck figuring that one out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude
    do they have mace there?
    or maybe you can just get some masala mix from a restaurant and put it in a spray bottle
    it sucks to have to stay inside
    you should venture out, but be safe
    also, you need to fix that camera asap!
    anyway, i really like the blog
    whats the plan for today?

    ReplyDelete