Thursday, September 24, 2009

Guess Who's in Mumbai Yaar?

So I'm finally in Mumbai! Can you believe it? I still can't. I had so much to write about my time spent in London but now that I'm in Mumbai, it all seems so long ago. Perhaps I'll save that for another time.

My flight here was excellent, had a 3-seat row all to myself, so slept quite well. I watched a couple of movies, browsed through US Weekly and next thing you know, we already landed in Mumbai. Despite everyone's warnings, I did not get harassed for money at the customs check. And I was relieved to learn that my suitcases did come with me, still in tact.

It is hot and muggy here, about 30C everyday. I'm temporarily living in the southern part of the city, also apparently near one of the red light districts. I don't technically have an official place to stay as my host family will be selling their flat soon, but they're being as helpful as they can. I need to start rushing to find a job and a new place to live. So it's crunch time... starting tomorrow.

Today I toured around Bandra West with a cousin who I was luckily able to catch during his last day in India, before he flew back to Canada. I got to pass by the homes of Kareena Kapoor, Salman Khan, and my favourite (well, after Amitabh Bachan that is), Shah Rukh Khan! From the outside, their homes didn't look so great. There were hoardes of men lined up near the Khan homes, I guess in the hopes of trying to catch a glimpse of their favourite stars. I wonder why there were so few women there.

Then we jumped onto a train heading towards Malad, it was about 4pm, rushhour madness. I think we got on at the "men only" section, since I was the only female on the train. I didn't feel too uncomfortable, thankfully I was with my cousin and an uncle. We were all packed in there like a can of sardines, and out of nowhere, one guy offered me his seat. I suddenly felt like royalty.

I find certain parts of Mumbai extremely hip and modern. Some of the shopping centres, such as the one in Malad West (where you'll be security-checked before going in), are pretty impressive and up-scale. The crowd you'd see at these stores look, act and dress so differently from the majority you would see simply roaming the streets of Mumbai, very dichotomous.

I went to a McDonald's for lunch (yes - already) and had the Chicken Maharaja Mac. It's basically like a burger with two tandoori chicken patties instead of actual beef, not my favourite but it wasn't too shabby either. I wanted to take pictures of their Indianised menu but security (yes, they have security at McDonald's here) wouldn't allow it.
I'm already falling in love with the city, it's reminding me so much of New York but with a lot more mirch-masala. The high didn't last too long though. I left to go back home quite late, was planning to take a cab home alone but my host-aunty wouldn't hear of it. She spoke to my cousin's friend over the phone and convinced him to drive me home instead, I had felt bad asking him myself as it was already 12am. Anyhow, he agreed to get me home safely, but not before being obliged to give his entire biodata to the aunt.
When I reached her flat I got a maternal reality check about the dangers lurking around Mumbai. The auntie told me two young women were raped last night while walking home from Navaratri festivities. They live just a few minutes away... feel sick to my stomach.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read you made it to Mumbai, it's a crazy city, with so many things to see, do check out Elephanta island.

    Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete