Monday, September 28, 2009

Starting to Feel Homesick...

Much to my parents' disappointment, I didn't go to gharba again tonight. I hate to say it but the heat's been getting to me. Right now I'd much rather stay indoors, with the a/c on, even if it gives me a sore throat.

I want my own friends here. The new friends I've made still act like my servants once we reach home; the awkward barriers come right back up. I'm not to do the dishes, make my own bed, do the laundry... As soon as I wake up in the mornings (who am I kidding, the afternoon's more like it) they come in my room to ask me what I'll be having for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can't get used to this.

*Shalini said she's willing to take me to one of the devi matha's temples tomorrow. She explained that she used to have an acne problem just like me, but after praying to the goddess of beauty, her skin had cleared up and so will mine. I didn't realise I had an acne problem, so I double-checked in the mirror anyway, but saw nothing new. She must have been referring to the few freckles that I have.

Shalini mentioned that she was saving money to get the tattooed bindi on her forehead removed. Her parents had her tattooed when she was only five; she still remembers the pain involved. It's a process most Maharashtran girls have to go through, but she explained that a lot of her friends were getting them removed now, as it clashes with the Western clothing they like to wear. She's going for a consultation next week, the doctor's promised to remove the mark for 5000 rupees. That's $125 Canadian, I wonder how safe this surgery will be.

The girls all sleep on the living room floor even though there are three empty bedrooms in the flat. I've offered to share my room since I have the air-conditioner but they laughed it off. I'm feeling incredibly spoiled, I can't wait to be back in my proper element.

No comments:

Post a Comment