Tuesday, September 21, 2010

When the Kites Come Down

Another photo I'm quite delayed in posting. I had written about the terrible Amdabadi traffic I was stuck in when I was rushing to catch my train to Mumbai. It just happened to be the night prior to the January kite festival; people were swarming through the markets to buy the best kites out there. The festival being held to celebrate Uttarayan, the welcoming of the sun god, was pure madness.

Anyway, this is the aftermath that was left in the city in the weeks that followed. The place was a complete mess. Wildlife officials were against the festival all along. They claim it's dangerous for wildlife; 1,500 birds get injured from the sharp kite strings that tug through the winds each year.

I think the tradition is here to stay though. Children look forward to the festival all year long - many adults are fanatics of it too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment