Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Montreal is Happy!

According to the Lonely Planet travel guide, Montreal is the 2nd happiest place in the world.  Their list actually came out in May but was only picked up by local media this week. I wonder what the couple from my "Is Montreal a Depressing City?" entry would have to say about this!

I'm adding some pictures from my last evening shopping at Ahmedabad's Teen Darwaja market.  I had the time to make some funny observations while I waited for my aunt to finish up her 45-minute long bargaining process over a house piece!

I caught this snack vendor dozing off every few minutes. All his competitors were busy with clients but he slept through the noisy traffic. Mind as well just close the shop for the evening. The fuzziness at the bottom is from a scooter whizzing by.


This little item was a big hit in the market. I found the doll backpack kinda creepy-looking, but to each their own.


This store-owner named his mithai (Indian sweets) shop after himself. Ratndeep Patel Shankarlal Maganlal Chansmawala. Since there are so many common names, details about one's trade are added to the actual name itself. Chansmawala literally means "eye-glasses guy."

No comments:

Post a Comment