Monday, July 12, 2010

Ran Out of Time..Again!

My news story yesterday wasn't as good as it could've been. The reason - I ran out of time. I'm so disappointed in myself. But sometimes things happen that're simply out of one's control.

I needed to get back to the news station by 4pm latest to complete my script, get it approved by the producer, voice my story, and then edit the clips and images with the video journalist, and finally, upload the file so it's ready for the 6pm news.  Our shooting location was an hour away from the station though.

I did get some decent interviews, but there was one key person that I absolutely had to speak with. She was supposed to give a speech at 2pm, the cameraman and I wanted to leave before that time though. We waited in the parking lot where she did pull in by 1:30pm and I urged her for a quick interview.  But she refused for personal reasons, explaining the speech was all we would get.

So we waited for her event to start.  To our disappointment 2pm turned into 2:30pm. And there were five people speaking ahead of her; still, we waited patiently. Three o'clock was our cut-off time, the lady had still not spoken, at which point we had to get up and leave. It was crunch time. Without any comments from the key speaker, the entire angle of my story had to be turned around.

I want to get better at writing under pressure, to the point where it doesn't even feel like 'pressure' anymore. Hopefully I'll be given more opportunities to work on this.

2 comments:

  1. dude that sucks!
    sounds very difficult
    i'd be sweatin balls
    im sure you'll get to where it aint no thang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, sweatin balls? Really? Hope it ain't no thang sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete