Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Smoking in Non-Smoking Rooms - Don't Do It!

I'm back! Miami was a blur of a week-end. It was beautiful but went by too quickly.

It was great to work back at the news station upon my arrival yesterday. It was a stressful day and quite the challenge keeping up with the fast-paced environment.  All things considered, I pulled off my report pretty well.  What an adrenaline-rush it was! I'll write more about it later.  

Today I'm back to working the front desk; it's a drama-filled morning. There's a 250$ fine charged to guests should they smoke in any of the smoking prohibited rooms. Well, a lot of the clients smoked in the rooms anyway over the week-end and since I'm the one doing the check-outs, I get to be their bearer of not-so-good news. One client has already yelled at me over the charge, he thinks I'm a thief. 

A "no-smoking" sign is clearly posted on each room door. There's also a warning about the smoking fine on the registration forms clients sign prior to checking in. We also warn the clients verbally that smoking is prohibited on the premises. So then why the big fuss on check out?

Some clients think the charge is exaggerated. But it's not. The stench of the smoke lingers on the carpeting and in the air for weeks. There are non-smoking clients who simply ask for their money back and leave if they get the slightest whiff of smoke upon entering.  The non-smoking signs are put there for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. I think the fine is perfectly justified. I may be biased because I hate smoking (and smokers at times), but they do tend to get selfish while they smoke. What about the rest of us who love our pink, healthy lungs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my pink healthy lungs too! Hopefully the no-smoking in public Montreal spaces message will sink in soon!

    ReplyDelete