Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Splash of Rajasthan

I'm pretty tired. Being short-staffed at the hotel is really hurting the entire team. We had some hiphop celebrities stay over the week-end. Some colleagues were psyched about getting to meet them, but wound up disappointed by their attitude.

My apartment search isn't going so great. The few places I do like are out of my budget. It's moments like these when I think I should've been saving instead of travelling like I did.

I skyped with a friend from Gujarat last week. I could hear dogs barking in the background, as well as the constant honking from the streets, and indoors, the catchy bollywood ringtones could be heard as peoples'  phones went off. Yup, it sounded like things were just the way I had left them. Except that it's monsoon season now, the daytime skies remain grey, and walking outside can get sticky. I'm really glad I missed this season altogether.

Some photos I took in Rajasthan, India: 

From Gujarat to Rajasthan, we drove through a mountain range where feisty monkeys hung out at the roadside, waiting for generous tourists to drop off some fruits. I'm so glad I didn't have my window rolled down! I don't know what I'd have done if this guy, who's clinging onto our car, jumped in!


The saris women wear in Rajasthan are the brightest of all of India.


Married women have to cover their faces in the state - a custom passed down from Muslim royalty once upon a time.


I took a camel ride with this kind guide and his camel named "Babloo." The nice guide later expected me to pay him a tip amount that equalled the cost of the ride itself! He wasn't so nice after that. But at the time, the moment I captured in this shot was one of serenity. All I felt was a light breeze cutting through the air; all I heard were the hooves of the camel pressing into the dry sand; and all I recall seeing were birds gliding through the air in slow motion.


Later, I got to watch the sunset whilst sitting on a sand dune.

No comments:

Post a Comment