Friday, August 20, 2010

Wild Goose Chase

I reported on basement flooding problems in some Laval homes today. The videojournalist and I were sent out on what our director likes to refer to as a wild goose chase

I didn't have the addresses of any of the residents I'd need to talk to but did have the name of one woman, from which I was able to find her telephone number. I called her. She refused to do an interview and was upset that I had found her number. I pushed a conversation with her although she kept attempting to hang up on me.  A few minutes later, she at least gave me some street names I could navigate. That helped! We drove through the areas she suggested, I knocked on some random doors and yes, found some angry residents who readily welcomed us into their homes, just waiting to have their voices heard. Cooperation - what a wonderful thing. My story worked out in the end.

I'm working with a newer cameraman tomorrow. He's asked me to try to get my script ready as early as possible so he'll have sufficient time for editing. I told him I'd try. Let's see what tomorrow brings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment